Hello from Atlanta

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Hello from Atlanta

Postby AtlBigDog on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi all. I'm fairly new to fermentation. I've made some passable kraut (I think) and I've been making kombucha for a few years now. I haven't died from any of it but I'm not happy with the tang yet. I've totally bombed with beets and carrots. Oddly I bought Wild Fermentation on the advice of a friend for the sour beets recipe. Hers is from 2003 and she says full of recipes. Mine is from 2016 and not so full of recipes and no sour beets recipe so I'm kind of disappointed.
Pat
AtlBigDog

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 am

Welcome to Wild Fermentation!

Wow, there it is on page 44! Weird that it got cut from the new version.

Hopefully you can find the help you need by searching here for beets. I think mostly the thing people freak out about is the gloopy dextran that forms and sometimes thins back out.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Hey, I asked Sandor about sharing the elided recipe and he gave me the go-ahead. He said that because ferments of all-beets get slimy, he prefers to ferment them with cabbage now, and I got the impression that he included instructions in the new version (which I don't have) for that process instead. So here it is from the first version:

Sour Beets

TIMEFRAME: 1 to 4 weeks

INGREDIENTS (for 1/2 gallon/2 liters):
5 lbs/2 kg beets
3 TBS/45 ml sea salt
1 TBS/15 ml caraway seeds

PROCESS:
Proceed as for sauerruben, above, using beets and adding some caraway seeds, whole or crushed. The juice expressed by beets when salted is dark and thick, like blood. As it ferments, evaporation may cause the brine to reduce. Be sure to keep the brine level above the plate. If necessary, add some brine, salted with about 1 TBS (15 ml) salt per cup (250 ml) of water. Sour beets can be enjoyed raw or used to make borscht.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here