Introduction

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Introduction

Postby Rystysurfer03 on Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:56 pm

Hi All -

I am brand new to fermentation and really looking for advice and to learn on the topic. There is not a single ferment I am looking to expand on, rather all of them. I did my first three week ferment a month ago to make a hot suave out of jalapeños, which turned out fantastic. Now I want to explore new things.

A little background about me and why I am joining this forum, for health reasons (blood pressure), I have tight restrictions on my sodium intake, which over the past year has completely eliminated my need for blood pressure medications. Obviously, this came at the sacrifice of "flavor," so I have explores new ways to introduce flavor to my food, which has gone fantastic. So, that brings me to the new area I want to explore, fermentation!

So, the big "why am I here" is pretty simple. In a lot of what I read, no sodium and fermentation seem to not pair well. In my diet, I have started using salt alternatives, namely potassium and calcium chloride. Potassium being my daily go to and calcium every now and again for cheese making and most recently my hot sauce fermentation. As I said, it went fantastic, but I would like to further explore the use of these two salts in fermentation, as well and just generally explore other no sodium ferments.

Thanks all and looking forward to learning more!
Rystysurfer03

Re: Introduction

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:09 am

Welcome to Wild Fermentation! I'm not sure you'll find a lot of expertise here on those subjects, but this is a great place for you to post your findings and maybe get some conversation.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here