Artichoke?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Artichoke?

Postby freudianslip on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:39 am

I am a bit over half-way finished with The Art of Fermentation, but didn't want to wait until the end. Having just cooked an artichoke, I decided to try out my new-found knowledge, and poured all the leftover juice into a plastic gallon water bottle, added a bit less than a cup of molasses, some dried (crushed) organic chia and flax seed, a little clear Karo corn syrup and some organic tubinado sugar. I added distilled water to a little over half-way up the bottle, then left the lid on loosely, shaking things up a bit. Next day, there was some white cotton-candy-like mold, which I ignored by tightening the lid and shaking vigorously. I tasted the mix on the third day. It was slightly sour, but with a pleasant taste and aroma. I have since added more molasses, corn syrup and sugar, as well as filling the bottle with distilled water until one inch from the top. I also drilled a hole in the cap and ran a tube from the cap into another bottle of water for an airlock. It has now been almost a week, I poured half the mix into a scotch bottle and put it in the fridge. I make a drink of 1/3 mix, add about 1 teaspoon of sugar, and the rest club soda. Tastes pleasantly sour. The original mix is still giving off CO2 and in a fairly warm room. I'm just wondering how safe my mix might be, and should I expect alcohol or vinegar (since it tasted sour to begin with), and how long I should wait until bottling. I'm just new to this and I don't want to make something I will regret. Any advice would be appreciated.
PS - Thanks for the book. It opened up a new world for me.
freudianslip

Re: Artichoke?

Postby bluehorserefuge on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Interesting. I have no access to airlocks here in Nicaragua and am intrigued by your improvised airlock idea. Is this a known workaround ?
bluehorserefuge

Postby khoomeizhi on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:23 am

that's one. another is a balloon with a pinhole in it. that's a little less good, though.

in attempted answer to the OP's questions...how safe? probably fairly. if you're getting active fermentation, that should keep growth of bad stuff down pretty well on its own. airlocking and topping to minimize surface area/headspace should keep it toward alcohol...not sure about bottling, or even if bottling is appropriate. my experience has always been to let things ferment out all the way, let them clear, and bottle then, as a still wine. since you're adding sugar and bubbles when you drink it, maybe that makes sense. the easiest idea may be to just keep drinking it like you are. if it's still actively fermenting and producing CO2, i wouldn't just bottle what you've got until you know how much sugar is left in there - and thus how much danger of bottle-bombs.
khoomeizhi

Postby bluehorserefuge on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:36 pm

I've been using plastic soda bottles to ferment my final product, ( add the bug to the sugar/fruit water) , it does feel safer because you can squeeze and feel just how full of gas it is...but how safe is this kind of plastic? You hear about "food grade" plastic, but I doubt soda bottles are that thick? Just hope there's no nasty reactions between the gases and the 'phlates' whatever they're called? But heck, we drink soda out of them, so can't be that bad, right ? :twisted:
bluehorserefuge

Return to Alcohol Ferments