Kombucha and vinegar

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kombucha and vinegar

Postby dlagrand on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:50 pm

hello, i am new to this forum. i have been making kombucha for awhile, but have a batch that is quite out of the norm. it smells and tastes differently, has never developed a scoby (after 2 months of temps ranging from 50 to 65 - which is low, but a batch next to it developed normally) and it developed an infestation of vinegar eels. the eels have now disappeared, but otherwise little has changed. the ph is 2.5 . what should i do with this? use it only for cleaning and a hair rinse? i have taken sips and it doesnt taste bad, but not good like kombucha either. has it become some weird strain of vinegar? i plan to start making vinegar, and just got delivery of my new wood cask. should i risk using this as a starter? thanks!
dlagrand

Re: Kombucha and vinegar

Postby bubble up on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:17 am

kombucha goes to vinegar when it ferments long enough. i think that its probably more nutritious when its like vinegar.the old culture may still be good,but its better to use a fresh culture if you have one.i was reading bout turning kombucha to wine, just brew kombucha for a week then pour kombucha in a bottle and air lock it.
bubble up

Return to Alcohol Ferments