Making beer using ginger bug or another ferment ?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Making beer using ginger bug or another ferment ?

Postby AlexandraPchb on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:24 am

Hello,
I have been wondering about that - all the books call for proper beer yeast to make beer - but I would like to make it with something more available - like Kombbucha as a starter, or ginger bug, or beetroot ferment, or anything that easily grows at home (whey). Is it possible? Has anyone tried it? I don't see why it shouldn't do something?
AlexandraPchb

Re: Making beer using ginger bug or another ferment ?

Postby khoomeizhi on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:42 am

i haven't done it for beer, but i've done many batches of mead started with a ginger (or ginger/turmeric) bug. as long as you're starting with a good active bug, i reckon it should work.
khoomeizhi

Postby AlexandraPchb on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:47 am

I might have to have a think then, and give it a go - though beer making calls for very specific equipment which I haven't at present. Thank you for your answer! Didn't know Turmeric could be a Bug ingredient? I have put some in my beet kvlass for the first time, will see what that does, it has quite a strong tart taste.
AlexandraPchb

Postby khoomeizhi on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:49 am

just for clarity's sake, i mean fresh turmeric root, not the ground stuff, just like the ginger.
khoomeizhi

Postby Whalel5 on Mon May 11, 2015 1:53 am

Khoomeizhi, did you ever made beer with turmeric root? For my fermentation research I want to know about ingredients and equipments used throughout this process with proper steps for making beer. Please provide me detail. Thanks
Whalel5

Postby khoomeizhi on Mon May 11, 2015 4:24 am

sorry, haven't made beer at all, just many meads. the turmeric and ginger for my purposes are just to culture wild yeast from...i could talk about preparing a bug that will be ready to take a mead dry, but won't be much help with beermaking.
khoomeizhi

Return to Alcohol Ferments