leaving my first fruit meads fermenting while away

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

leaving my first fruit meads fermenting while away

Postby sheenacv on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 am

I recently started a few different types of fruit meads, and I now have some of them strained and bottled in small, 3L carboys with an s-type airlock. I am leaving on holidays for 6 weeks, and by that time they will all have been like this for about a week. I will have a friend staying in my place to watch my dog while I'm gone, but I'm not sure if I need to ask her to watch anything with my meads besides making sure there's water in the airlock. This is my first time making mead, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. I've tried to do a lot of reading, and from what I can tell, this is the most important thing to have her check on. Is it okay to leave them in the carboys with the airlock on them even if they stop bubbling until I get back?

Thanks for any advice!
sheenacv

Re: leaving my first fruit meads fermenting while away

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 am

Yes. The only concern is the airlocks going dry.

Unless you're following some specific recipe/procedure that needs you to intervene at various times, your mead will keep essentially forever under an airlock.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: leaving my first fruit meads fermenting while away

Postby sheenacv on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 am

Okay - perfect! I'm basically following Sandor's instructions for wild mead (with fruit) in The Art of Fermentation. I'm glad to know that it should be fine while I'm gone. Thanks for the reply!
sheenacv

Return to Alcohol Ferments