Yogurt making

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Yogurt making

Postby alisoncc on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi Christopher,

I came to fermenting via numerous medical research articles relating to the brain-gut connection. I am on the Autism Spectrum - Asperger's, and the probiotics content plays a big part in much of what is being spoken about. I started with Kefir and then added Sauerkraut.

There is much on the Net written on the subject. This is as good a source as any, agreeing with much of what I have read elsewhere:
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/kefir-healthier-than-yogurt/

Quoting extensively from the above:
A traditional yogurt starter contains the following strains of probiotics: Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, and Streptococcus thermophilus.

Here is a list of the typical strains of probiotics and beneficial yeasts in properly fermented Kefir, according to the Journal Food Microbiology:

Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus brevis
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus
Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. delbrueckii
Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis
Lactobacillus helveticus
Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens subsp. kefiranofaciens
Lactobacillus kefiri
Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Lactobacillus sake
Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
Lactococcus lactis
Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. dextranicum
Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. mesenteroides
Pseudomonas
Pseudomonas fluorescens
Pseudomonas putida
Streptococcus thermophilus
Candida humilis (yeast)
Kazachstania unispora (yeast)
Kazachstania exigua (yeast)
Kluyveromyces siamensis (yeast)
Kluyveromyces lactis (yeast)
Kluyveromyces marxianus (yeast)
Saccharomyces cerevisiae (yeast)
Saccharomyces martiniae (yeast)
Saccharomyces unisporus (yeast)

The probiotic strains in yogurt, however, do not colonize the gut themselves, and just pass through which requires a constant infusion to maintain the same health benefit.

Whereas Milk Kefir is quite different from yogurt in that the strains contained colonize the intestinal tract and don’t just pass through with temporary benefit.

If you are trying your hand at home fermentation of milk in order to improve your digestive health and rebalance the gut environment with beneficial microbes dominating instead of pathogenic strains, Kefir is going to be a far more potent choice.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:06 am

Excellent! Thanks. I've been putting off trying kefir for years -- I'm actually not convinced that dairy is something we should eat at all, but some of it is pretty yummy. I really should find some grains and try it out.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Tiemu on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:10 am

I learned to make yoghurt and many yoghurt recipes from 'Yoghurt Cookbook' by Arto der Haroutunian. He writes that by making a new batch each week it can go on forever.

I make yoghurt the same day every week. Sometimes they failed in the past and I thought it was because they get weaker with time (which many websites say too), but since getting a thermometer I've made perfect consistent yoghurt weekly for 6 weeks now and I'll continue indefinitely. In fact, I started on a near-failed culture which was very watery but the batch after that improved perfectly.

My starter yoghurt was an organic yoghurt from the supermarket with 3 strains of culture in it (you only need one, but the more strains in it the better it is for you). I don't usually buy organic stuff, but for this I was willing to pay extra.

--------

I made a few batches of kefir but I thought it tasted terrible so I threw it out. There's also water kefir.
Tiemu

Previous

Return to Dairy Ferments