Yoghurt making- Finger test vs Thermometer test

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Yoghurt making- Finger test vs Thermometer test

Postby Tiemu on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:20 am

I started yoghurt making using the traditional finger method mentioned in all Middle-eastern books: dip your finger in and if it can stay 15 seconds before starting to burn it's ready, then keeping it somewhere warm for 8-10 hours. I had mixed success with this, failing about 40% of the time because it was very watery.

Upon buying a thermometer, I mix in the culture at 49 degrees C (120 F). This is far cooler than the finger method, which my thermometer reads as around 60+ degrees C (140+ F). But I get great results each time.

Do you use a thermometer or the finger method for making yoghurt?
Tiemu

Re: Yoghurt making- Finger test vs Thermometer test

Postby skate on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:06 am

That finger method sounds hot to me too. I use my finger temp if I am making yoghurt regularly but it's not so hot that my finger would burn if I left it in, or a thermometer if I haven't made it in a while.

Raw or pasteurised will make a difference too, and whether you heat high and cool down, or just bring it up to warm from cold.
skate

Re: Yoghurt making- Finger test vs Thermometer test

Postby Gutted on Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:26 am

Sticking your finger in contaminates the milk and introduces the bacteria which were on your finger, possibly harmful ones, into the yoghurt. I try and keep it as sterile as possible, I even use H2O2/white vinegar on the thermometer probe.
Gutted

Return to Dairy Ferments