Growing synthetic probiotics

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Growing synthetic probiotics

Postby Happy2 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi
Is it possible to successfully/continuously grow probiotics which have come from a tablet, at home as either a kefir or yogurt type fermentation?

The reason I ask is that I have ibs and have found a product which helps but they are a bit expensive so I was wondering if it was possible to culture the various strains at home.

Thanks
Happy2

Re: Growing synthetic probiotics

Postby Gutted on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 am

Bacteria grow/reproduce if given the correct conditions ie food and temperature. You only need a sample of the bacteria such as a small sample size of a few capsules and then they can be cultured fairly easily.

A well made yoghurt can have considerably higher numbers of bacteria than most probiotic capsules. There are other forms of fermentation if milk is a problem. You would need a method to maintain a suitable temperature around body temperature is ideal but a bit higher 42C is okay.

If you make yoghurt, getting/making a temperature controlled chamber where the temperature can be set to a higher temperature of high 40's C for an hour and then lowered after that to around 40C can produce quicker results. The company linked below have a device which can do it but you could build a device yourself by using a temperature controller STC-1000 and a chamber and heating source to maintain the temperature. There is a updated firmware for the STC-1000 which allows it to be programmed with temperatures and times so that it can adjust the temperature automatically which could give a perfect way of culturing bacteria quickly. I am currently looking for a chamber to use with the STC-1000. It needs to be big enough to culture large amounts of yoghurt in some large jars but finding something suitable is proving difficult. I did think about a mini fridge but finding a none working mini fridge is also difficult and I don't want to pay for a new mini fridge due to the costs involved.

Note that only certain versions of the STC-1000 can be reprogrammed with new firmware. The firmware is available from the following link and so are details on where to acquire the correct version of the STC-1000.
https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p

http://brodandtaylor.com/
I did see a few problems with the above pre made device where people were complaining of parts melting and for the money they charge I did not fancy wasting money on it.
Gutted

Return to Dairy Ferments