kefir; using OLD grains

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

kefir; using OLD grains

Postby madmomgardener on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:51 pm

So, about a year ago I was given some kefir grains in a small jar of milk. It happened to be a very complicated time in my life, and they got put into the fridge where they migrated to the back and got forgotten about. Every so often I would spot them, think "I should do something with those", and then forget about them again. Well, about a week ago they surfaced again and I was just going to chuck them into the compost. When I opened the jar, I was expecting a really putrid rotten milk odor, but to my surprise there wasn't much odor at all. It smelled a little tangy, maybe a little yeasty, and not unpleasant at all. So I decided, what the heck, I would put it into some fresh milk, leave it on the counter, and see what happened.
Well, what's been happening is that the milk is definitely turning into something else, but I'm not sure what. There is absolutely no smell or taste of what I would call "sour milk", that is, milk that's gone bad (yes I did, after sniffing it, cautiously taste it); it smells and tastes tangy and "yogurty". I actually find it quite delicious. Every 8-12 hours I give it new milk, and I've been happily drinking the "old" milk, which is tangy but not too tart, and mildly fizzy. It does remain quite liquid, though; it hasn't ever really thickened into what I understand kefir texture is supposed to be.
So, any thoughts about what might be going on with my Lazarus grains here? Any advice about how to continue? Any help for this newbie would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Beyla
madmomgardener

Return to Dairy Ferments