kombucha cheese

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

kombucha cheese

Postby ManchesterSara on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:21 pm

I’ve just started making really basic cheeses (mostly yogurt cheese). I’m wondering about making cheese with kombucha. Has anyone ever tried it or heard about it being done? I’m thinking about actually putting a mother in milk and letting it ferment. Any advice would be welcome!!!
ManchesterSara

Re: kombucha cheese

Postby vortexforest on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:46 pm

If you have an extra mother, you should try it and tell us about it.

I've made farmer cheese by boiling milk, and turning off the stove, and pouring in white vinegar, waiting 5 minutes and scooping out the curds. I suppose you could pour in kombucha tea instead. It should work.
vortexforest

Postby bontekoe on Mon May 06, 2013 10:52 am

I was making my farmers cheese with vinegar but have been using a nettle based kombucha for a week or so and it works great. I use a little more kombucha than I did with vinegar as my acidity is a little lower. The result is an earthy undertone that gives the cheese a little different flare and color. Very subtle but nautical and good.
bontekoe

Postby Smallgraces on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:10 pm

I just made my first batch of Kombucha cheese. I had brewed the Kombucha from a Chai tea. The cheese which I made with a paneer recipe, tasted like Chai tea.
1 1/2 gal whole raw milk to 2 cups Kombucha, was my ratio.
It is more solidified than the type we normally make with apple cider vinegar, but I love the texture and the flavor needed less sea salt than normally.
Smallgraces

Return to Dairy Ferments