DO I HAVE TO SCALD/HEAT PASTEURIZED MILK TO MAKE YOGURT?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: DO I HAVE TO SCALD/HEAT PASTEURIZED MILK TO MAKE YOGURT?

Postby Denise on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:58 am

Dear owendavidj,

Making sure that the temperature of the milk is 110 degrees before adding the starter is essential; anything higher than that, the starter will die; anything much lower than that might not be warm enough for the starter to grow. As I have posted, and as I learned from the answers in this topic, heating the milk to 180 degrees isn't necessary. Simply heat it to the 110 degrees and add the starter.

Also, since you eat a lot of yogurt, as I do, you might consider the investment of a Brod and Taylor folding proofer/yogurt maker. Link: http://brodandtaylor.com/large-capacity ... 7AodW2sAdg

I have one and I can do 12 quarts of yogurt, in mason jars, at one time!!!!!

The best culture starter I know of needs to be purchased online from GI ProHealth. The link is in one of my previous posts in this topic. It is not sold in a store at this time.
Fermentation Blessings!
Denise
Denise

Postby TeeDubYeah on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:00 am

owendavidj What size batches are you making? 2 Tablespoons seems to be a lot for 1 quart. I think you'd be better off if you put less starter and allowed it to ferment a little longer. I use about a tablespoon per quart. From what I understand you dont want to over populate your milk, the culture needs room to grow, this will result in a creamer, thicker yogurt.

As far as temp goes, I too started with raw milk and am wondering now if its worth the price and end product since I too am bringing it up to 180. For the fermenting part remember you only really need to keep the yogurt just above body temp. My last batch I filled my crock pot half way with water, let it come up to temp on low, put the yogurt in a jar placed in water and turned off the crock pot, covered the crock pot with one of those thermal bags you can get at the supermarket to keep meat cold on the way home. About 12 hours later it was ready and delicious.
If what you are doing now is too much of a science experiment try something different. There are many ways you can maintain this temp. You mentioned that you are a body builder. Do you have an electric heating pad for sore muscles? Wrap the jar in a towel, then the heating pad on low then another towel.
TeeDubYeah

Postby yogurtluv on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:59 am

When making yogurt from pasteurized milk there is no need to heat it
to 180. Because pasteurized milk has already been heated at a high temperature during the process.
BUT if you are using RAW milk you will need to heat it to 180 to kill the bacteria or it will fight with the yogurt bacteria and will not culture. Raw milk has too many bacteria which the yogurt bacteria has to compete with and it just won't culture or if it does it will become runny or watery with lumps etc.
I have been making yogurt for years. You need to understand that
temperature is very important to making yogurt. Also there are many
yogurt makers sold but some of them get too high. You need to make sure and not rely on the maker reading and put your own thermometer to check if it is really under 110. I had to return 2 yogurt makers because it would get too high. Also if you are going to leave it for 24 hours you would need to set it on lower temperatures or it will become very sour,tangy.
As of now I am using Caspian Sea yogurt which doesn't need any heat to make. It is just so much easier and not have to worry about temperatures and mess with yogurt makers. I don't think I can go back
to making heated yogurts. With Caspian Sea yogurt you can just leave it on your countertop with milk right from your refrigerator and it will be yogurt in a few hours. But if you are using raw milk you will need to maintain the mother culture with pasteurized milk with this yogurt.
yogurtluv

Postby nicolasconnault on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:48 am

If you want to thicken the yogurt, why not just drain some of the whey away? I've drained my yogurt overnight many times, and sometimes it will get as thick as cream cheese. Granted, it's probably as fatty and protein-free as cream cheese, but hey, it's thick!!
nicolasconnault

Previous

Return to Dairy Ferments