Making Miso Metric

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Making Miso Metric

Postby nkbrilley on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Trying to follow US recipes for making miso can be annoying, to say the least, as the non-metric units used are so confusing. When are Americans going to join the rest of the world and use a rational system of measurement? Anyway, I have been making miso for a while now and thought I would share my hard-won calculations for miso making using metric. This is far and away the most difficult part of miso making – doing the maths!!
www.scribd.com/doc/256054118/Making-Miso-Metric
nkbrilley

Re: Making Miso Metric

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:55 am

I feel for you! I too wish we'd adopt metric units.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby MartinKrpan on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:20 am

Great job, did you adapt these numbers from The Book of Miso?

I tried making an adzuki bean (sweet white miso) and a chickpea miso (mellow barley miso) and used the bean/salt/koji/liquid ratio from the aforementioned book, but they both came out way too salty.

OP, if you could share your tips and experiences that would be really great.
MartinKrpan

Postby James4210 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:52 pm

MartinKrpan wrote:Great job, did you adapt these numbers from The Book of Miso?

I tried making an adzuki bean (sweet white miso) and a chickpea miso (mellow barley miso) and used the bean/salt/koji/liquid ratio from the aforementioned book, but they both came out way too salty.

OP, if you could share your tips and experiences that would be really great.

I've not an expert but I've observed that most produced miso is around 10 or 11% salt. The exception being sweet white miso which is about 5% salt.

I grew up eating miso as my parents were into the macrobiotic diet, we always got the darkest stuff and you couldn't put it in your mouth it was so salty.

I think the official Google answer is something like 3.7 g of sodium per hundred grams of miso which works out at about 9 g of salt.
James4210

Return to Legume Ferments