first tempeh/hair tempeh

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

first tempeh/hair tempeh

Postby fermenteddude on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:33 am

hello

I started making a tempeh and i dont know if it turnned out right. it is very hairy,(http://41.media.tumblr.com/7e0797274e07 ... 1_1280.jpg ) does this look right?

If so what do people do with the fuzz after its done fermenting?

Thanks! :ugeek:
fermenteddude

Re: first tempeh/hair tempeh

Postby Tibor on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:49 am

I couldn't open up your link but if the fuzz is white you did good. Is your tempeh a consistent nice solid mass with a sweet, mushroomy smell? You do nothing with the fuzz. It's part of tempeh. Just cook it up and enjoy. My latest wonderful recipe is baked tempeh with nutritional yeast gravy. I made it with black eye pea tempeh.
Tibor

Postby fermenteddude on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:58 am

(https://40.media.tumblr.com/7e0797274e0 ... o1_540.jpg) i dont know what happened to the link. hopefully it works this time.

It smells good but there is just a lot of fuzz. i didnt do it in a bag so there was more room to grow on top. i will try some today!

mmmh nutritional yeast gravely sounds good!

Thanks for the reply.
fermenteddude

Postby Tibor on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:42 pm

I see the picture this time. The fuzz is fine but the tempeh is not uniform. You could still eat it ,no problem. There is definitely a learning curve to making tempeh-but well worth it. There are a few possibilities for the bare spots. You didn't mix in the spore well enough; not enough spore; not long enough in the incubator or your drying process (or heat) was not even. How solid was your tempeh once you took it out of the pan ?
Tibor

Postby fermenteddude on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 pm

It was pretty solid but there was some parts that the bacteria didnt grow in. Next time i will break up the beans more, also maybe try to ferment it in a different place. I ate it all and im still alive so im happy haha. Thank you for your help!
fermenteddude

Return to Legume Ferments