Tempeh: What is your setup?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Tempeh: What is your setup?

Postby Polo on Tue May 03, 2016 8:48 am

Sounds good - I might try such a setup. ;) Incredible that a 60 Watt will do the trick - I thought at least a heat lamp/bulb was necessary! I guess an ordinary lamp will do then.

I have been trying to find out what kind of plastic the reptile heat matts are constructed out of but as that seems impossible and I don't want to use a toxic plastic matt (PVC), I have ditched that option!
Polo

Postby Polo on Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Wow, I did it! Huge success and it taste amazing. :D :D :D
Polo

Postby Alicia on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:39 pm

I am currently experimenting with using an Instant Pot (combo pressure cooker/slow cooker with some lower temp non-pressurized settings). I was very lazy and haphazard in this initial trial but it seems to be working, I was frustrated by a lack of instructions for how to do it (despite their site saying you can use it for natto and tempeh) so I'll post a how-to in this forum once I've done a couple more trials.
Alicia

Postby kefirchi on Wed May 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi

I've made tempeh in an adapted polystyrene box but by far the best way for me has been to use my Excalibur dehydrator - but without turning it on (the lowest temperature is too high plus fan is too strong). Instead I've put my old and retired electric yogurt makers to use (one might be okay in the warmer months). I pour boiling water in them (once) - and then cover with (metal) lids to create a warm environment but avoid steam. I then just put the bags of beans in a high position. I check on the beans and when necessary change the direction of the bags once or twice plus turn them over as needed. That's it. The first time I used digital and oven thermometers and after about eight hours opened the door a bit. I've been very pleased with the result.
kefirchi

Previous

Return to Legume Ferments