De-hulling nightmare: Best way?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

De-hulling nightmare: Best way?

Postby Polo on Wed May 25, 2016 4:22 pm

I have to find a solution in regards to the de-hulling of the beans (Red Kidney Beans), as this process takes several hours (and I even let a blender do the de-hulling with a dough-blade).

Have anyone tried leaving the hulls in the batch? Or have another great idea?

I consider using Lima Beans as they are huge and have a lesser ratio of hulls. Experience anyone?
Polo

Re: De-hulling nightmare: Best way?

Postby whalesounds on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 pm

I dehulled black beans for tempeh by soaking them overnight, folding about 1/2 cup at a time into a tea towel and going over it with a rolling pin for a few minutes. Left a bunch of the hulls in and it came out fine
whalesounds

Postby Durgan on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:06 pm

This is how I dehull soy beans.
27 May 2017 Full Sequence of making Tempeh.
Posted on May 27, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/May%202017/27%20 ... eans/HTML/ 27 May 2017 Dehulling Soy Beans
The first operation in making tempeh is to dehull and split the soy beans. Soy beans dry are 500 ml which swells to 1 liter when boiled. The beans are washed, covered in water and vigorously boiled for 30 minutes. Water is then poured off and the pot filled with cold water. The beans are then manipulated with the hands to remove the skins and to split the beans. The floating skins are then poured off. This operation is repeated about five times and the result is a liter of perfect split dehulled beans ready for pressure cooking. This operation is not onerous and takes about ten minutes. This method eliminates soaking of the beans.

Last edited by Durgan on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Durgan
Zone 5 Brantford, ON, Canada
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby anon418 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:18 am

If you have enough beans, one reasonably fast way is to soak, or soak and pre-boil, then stomp the beans in a bucket or a tub with bare feet. As far as I know, that's the traditional way in Indonesia too. Of course, after the dehulling you should do a proper boil, which ..should be enough to kill out enough microbes for a healthy fermentation. I'm still a beginner and have yet to try this method.

Another way you can do is to crack the dry beans and not dehull at all.
anon418

Postby terji on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:17 am

+1 for rolling pin.

I soak overnight, put two-three handfuls on a kitchen towel roll over with rolling pin till most of them are cracked and throw it in the pot. Skimming the skins of the surface as the water starts to boil, I would say 3/4 are done this way, then when water starts boiling with hot break usually another good bunch of skins get caught up in the white fluff. Last bit gets filtered when straining the beans after cooking them - first bit off run-off usually have good amount of skins too

I do this for 1kilo batches of soybeans and find it quite manageable. Downside is you are crushing the beans sometimes too much...
Attachments
IMG_8277.jpg
IMG_8277.jpg (129.44 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
IMG_8276.jpg
IMG_8276.jpg (125.62 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
IMG_8273.jpg
IMG_8273.jpg (193.92 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
terji

Return to Legume Ferments