Tempeh Flavoring and Spices

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Tempeh Flavoring and Spices

Postby KalliNicole on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:38 am

I'm just starting my hand at tempeh, and am very curious if you can add spices to your beans and starter? I'm wanting to make a summer sausage type roll of tempeh ultimately but I can't find any info on if this will affect the final product. I would love to hear about anyone else's tempeh flavoring experiences!
KalliNicole

Re: Tempeh Flavoring and Spices

Postby Tibor on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:10 am

From my understanding of it, adding spices can mess with the spores and inhibit proper sporulation. Whenever I made tempeh, I added the spices afterwards in the form of dips. The only thing I ever added was toasted sesame seeds to a garbanzo tempeh and that was outstanding.
Tibor

Postby KalliNicole on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:07 pm

All spices or only certain types? Granted there could be a reason why I can't find anything online about it.
KalliNicole

Postby Tibor on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 pm

I don't know. Even salt is not added to make tempeh. The Book of Tempeh doesn't even have spices in it's index. Everything that is spice related is used after the Tempeh is made. Soy is the blandest of beans. Black eye peas and Garbanzo have flavor and black beans and pintos are great as well. You can mix barley or rice to the beans as well.
Tibor

Postby KalliNicole on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:44 pm

I appreciate your input, thanks!
KalliNicole

Postby KalliNicole on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Update: having some success with trying different spice blend marinades for a summer sausage effect :)
KalliNicole

Return to Legume Ferments