Tempeh Fermentation Vessel

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Tempeh Fermentation Vessel

Postby KalliNicole on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:53 pm

I have successfully made a few different types of tempeh in an incubator using the plastic bag with holes punched in it method. I am wanting to deviate away from plastic here soon and am wondering what others are using to hold the beans during the ferment. I know banana leaves would be a great choice but can get pretty expensive really quick. I'm particularly interested to see if anyone has had success with a homemade mold made out of food safe Plexiglas or possibly wood? And has anyone tried cheese cloth in place of banana leaves? Thanks!
KalliNicole

Re: Tempeh Fermentation Vessel

Postby Tibor on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:31 pm

I use clear glass pyrex bread pans with a reusable perforated top made out of heavy aluminum trays from a party store . I drill 2 mm holes 3/4 inch apart and smooth it off with steel wool so I can wash it easily. The trays ( a lot of people toss them after one use) are flexible and easy to cut and I leave a 1/4 inch extra on each side to fold it down to make a snug lid. Each 16 " tray will make 2 lids. I also like the glass pyrex bread pans because you can see what is happening and when it's done. I pack in about an inch deep of beans in each pan.
Tibor

Re: Tempeh Fermentation Vessel

Postby KalliNicole on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Sounds great, thanks! I think I'll give that a try for my next go round. I had been waiting for more starter to arrive and it is finally here!
KalliNicole

Return to Legume Ferments