Miso with sporulated koji

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Miso with sporulated koji

Postby hasselbrad on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 am

I just made my first batch of miso. Nothing quite turned out according to plan. Especially the soy beans took much, much longer to cook. They never did completely soften. By the time I gave up and decided to go ahead the koji had sporulated. It was all yellow green, and like dusty. I went ahead and finished mixing and packing and put the three gallons of miso (i hope)away in the cellar for a year or two. Is there any hope that this will turn out? I think the koji got a little too warm when it was incubating...
hasselbrad

Re: Miso with sporulated koji

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Let it sit and see what it turns into. If the koji went to spore, it didn't get so hot that it killed it. I'd just let it be.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby courtlande6 on Sun May 04, 2014 6:07 pm

I had quite the first koji making experience and ended up using rice koji that was light green in color, too. I threw her in with cooked chickpeas and waited nearly two years before …

Opening up a 3 gallon vat of some of the most delicious and rich and full miso that I've ever had.

Shurtleff's book says that sporulated koji MAY negatively affect the flavor, subtly, but not ruin it, by any means.

Keep your finger's crossed, but know that mine turned out wonderful.
courtlande6

Postby hasselbrad on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:12 pm

So two years is nearly up. I opened the miso for a look after one year and it smelled and tasted great. I started this batch when my son left on a two year lds mission and I'll open it after he returns on November 8th.
hasselbrad

Postby WWFSM on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Do let us know how it turns out.

I'm about to make my very first miso with sporulated koji... so nervous.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Legume Ferments