To croc or not?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

To croc or not?

Postby Ninaluna on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:41 pm

I have been pondering the use of croc vs glass containers....

It seems there are those who are adamant that the best 'kraut is made in a croc, I wonder if this is to do with the thick walls and larger volume holding conditions more steady in the vessel as compared to thinner walls and typically lower volume of glass jars?

Could it be in part that people often graduate from jar to croc as they become more experienced and so they are just more successful fermenters when they start using the croc?

I have concerns about crocs having read several reports of cracks in the glaze leading to mould problems, questions over whether the glaze itself is safe.
Not to mention the problems of those porous weights :shock:

I wonder if the perfect vessel would be a glass croc, with glass weights?
Until I find such a thing I may just stay with my wire clip sealed jars, glass just seems safer than a ceramic pot where I cant see what's going on inside?

But I am a novice and would really welcome the thoughts of more experienced fermenters if anyone would like to share?
Ninaluna

Re: To croc or not?

Postby Ninaluna on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:06 pm

a found a glass croc, rather lovely ;)
but sold and I suspect it was rather expensive :?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/248361635/ ... tion-crock
Ninaluna

Postby Christopher Weeks on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:13 am

How about a big-mouth bubbler? It's not quite perfect since it does have a neck, but it's pretty easy to work with. I have a bowl that fits right in the fat neck.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/big-mout ... r-5-gallon
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Ninaluna on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:56 am

thanks Christopher, that does look very promising :D
I'm in the UK and preliminary research suggests it's not available over here.
Even so it's good to know that such things do exist!
Ninaluna

Postby JohnDulleck on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:10 am

I have found that I can put about 2 pounds (900g) of cabbage in a quart, so for a 5 gallon bubbler, even after accounting for a 1 gallon headspace, that is 32 pounds, or 14.5 Kg.

That's a lot of cabbage!
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby Tibor on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:36 pm

Modern quality crocks are perfectly safe and the glaze should be intact. The weights, if properly fired, glazed or unglazed, should not have mold or mildew issues ever. Over the years I have never had a problem and I simply wash my stuff just like the dishes. That said, some products are inferior. I have not experimented to see if a crock is better than a glass vessel as far as taste.
I have all kinds of crocks, glass cylindrical flower vases, and food grade buckets of varying sizes for all my different ferments. I prefer cylindrical vessels because it is easier to find an appropriate jar,saucer ,or plate to weight veggies down without leaving too much room for stuff to become floaters. I don't use lids ,just a cloth cover. I use a 2 or 3 gallon crock for Kraut, 3-5 gallon food grade buckets for pickles, since I have multiple buckets going right now, and for smaller volumes I use cylindrical glass vases. I have from 3/4 gallon to almost a 2 gallon one . My largest one is 6" diameter by 14 inches tall . I make my kimchi and other stuff in those vases . You can find them at party stores, or at florists, or at second hand stores - where I found all of mine. I like glass on the counter to see what goes on, especially if I add beets or turmeric and watch all the color changes in the ferment. Happy fermenting !
Tibor

Postby Ninaluna on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Tibor wrote:glass cylindrical flower vases
thanks for sharing Tibor, I had been thinking that a glass cylinder of some kind would make an ideal vessel, especially if as you say a prefectly sized plate/dish could be found to keep all the ferment under the brine :D

I'll have to start investigating the large vase option ;)

JohnDulleck wrote: for a 5 gallon bubbler, even after accounting for a 1 gallon headspace, that is 32 pounds, or 14.5 Kg.
John, it would be enormously heavy wouldn't it :shock: :D
Ninaluna

Postby Ninaluna on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Tibor wrote: I have not experimented to see if a crock is better than a glass vessel as far as taste

I'm a bit tempted to run the experiment!
make a large batch of kraut, put half in a croc and half in a jar and see how they both turn out 8-)
Ninaluna

Postby jdinid on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:00 pm

I'm fairly new to the fermentation game myself. I have a croc with a lid and water seal that will hold ten pounds of cabbage. I've made several successful batches.

I also use quart mason jars for small ferments. I currently have three in process. One with chilis, one with carrots and one with eggplant. I can use a small lid and whisky stones to weight down the veggies, or a small circle of plastic cut out of a storage container and the stones.

I don't have enough experience to know if there's a difference.
jdinid

Postby Gutted on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 am

I would recommend that you look at the disappearing water thread and read that before you consider buying a crock which are expensive. I have been very disappointed in my two crocks and would not purchase another. If you like the idea of the reservoir water being sucked inside the crock with any flies etc then go ahead and purchase one. You probably know how flies are around water eventually getting pulled into the water. Just think: do I want flies, dust and anything else which goes into that water ending up inside a crock of ferment which I intend eating?

What you need to consider is that the volume of ferment will lower as the bacteria consume it which causes a back pressure/suction effect.This is what sucks a crocks reservoir into the crock. Airlocks will most likely have the same effect.

The clip jars work fairly well providing they are strong enough to resist the pressure. Only air/O2 will ever go in and out at worst.
Gutted

Next

Return to Vegetable Ferments