https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZXXPYQ/

What is the different between fermenting with airlock
and a regular lid?

Tnx (:
Alex
alexshein121

Re: I Need Your Help..

Postby JohnDulleck on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Well, if you use an airlock, you won't need to remember to burp your jars, but on the other hand, airlocks are expensive!

Personally, I have never understood the need for airlocks. As long as you keep your veggies submerged, there is little danger of anything going wrong, and you need to keep your veggies covered with or without an airlock.

When I stared fermenting veggies, I decided to emulate Sandor Katz, who does not advocate the use of airlocks, and using plain mason jar lids has always worked fine for me.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:30 am

I am pretty solidly convinced that you actually don't need to keep your produce submerged in brine if you're keeping it under a functioning airlock. My theory is that the blanket of CO2 held in by the airlock is every bit as good as brine at keeping pathogens in check. However, the stuff in the CO2 does dry out and become unappealing.

All my little experimental ferments these days are done in FIDO jars because of that. Even if you do want to keep the produce weighted under the brine, you don't have to worry about mold on floaters under the airlock.

All that said, I would strongly encourage new fermenters to start their culturing habits in open ferments where they can get in and taste what's happening each day.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Fantastic recommendation!

Postby alexshein121 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:33 pm

finally i bought it, and it's amazing!
My fermentation process is so much easier and simple,
and i no more need to burp daily..

So.. this is my recommendation (:
alexshein121

Postby AnnieBoo on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:07 pm

I don't use airlocks OR standard lids, instead I stole an idea I saw online and have cut up an inexpensive silicone baking mat into circles the size of a mason jar lid. I cut a tiny tiny slit into the center of each with an Exacto blade and use a standard mason jar lid strap to put it on the jar. It bulges up with CO2 until it opens that little slit and lets it 'burp' out and then when the pressure reduces enough that slit closes right back up - you can't even see it. And since there is more pressure inside than outside, nothing comes in.

As long as I don't open the jar, there's almost zero chance of mold happening. And if I DO open the jar, I just make sure I get everything back under the brine before sealing it back up.

I've used these for about 3-4 months now, so far everything has worked out great - only one jar got mold and that was because something got stacked on top of the jar and the lid got pushed in so it got totally exposed. I've fermented at least a couple dozen jars of veggies with them so far, and more are going now! I paid about $14 for the silicone mat, and got ...I don't know, maybe 20 discs out of it? Maybe more. LOTS.
AnnieBoo

Postby JohnDulleck on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:26 am

@AnnieBoo,

Brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Yeah, that's a great trick!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Vegetable Ferments