Lacto-Fermented Three Bean Salad

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Lacto-Fermented Three Bean Salad

Postby JohnDulleck on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:15 pm

I was looking through the Legume section when a post by Tibor caught my eye. He was commenting on lacto-fermentation of beans using a lacto starter.

The first thing I thought of was Three Bean Salad, consisting of Kidney Beans, Garbanzo Beans, and String Beans. This has been a long time favorite of mine but I have only had the commercial canned variety, so I decided to give lacto-fermented Three Bean Salad a try.

I started with 2 cups each of undercooked (just slightly crunchy) Red Kidneys and Garbanzos, and 2 cups of froxen Green Beans. I rinsed and drained the beans after cooking and then mixed with the Green Beans, 1 large Yellow Onion, coarse chopped, and five cloves of Garlic, cut in pieces. Mixed all ingredients and carefully packed into a 1/2 gallon wide mouth mason jar, hitting the jar with the palm of my hand as I filled it to make sure things were as compacted as possible. Added a large cabbage leaf to the top to keep the floaters under the brine, then filled the jar with a mixture of 3% brine and 3/4 cup of leftover sauerkraut juice.

I wanted to use the onion and garlic, not just for flavor, but also for the bacteria that they will contribute as the beans are all cooked and therefore sterile. I wanted a bacterial starter in addition to the sauerkraut juice to help insure a more diverse micro-biome. I used the cabbage leaf on top for the same reason. Anyway, here is the result.

This is day one for this ferment, I will update as things progress.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Re: Lacto-Fermented Three Bean Salad

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Interested to hear when you start tasting it. I'm not sure if I've even had 3-bean salad as an adult, it was a thing my folks got sometimes and I disliked as a kid. (But so was kraut, so who knows!)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby JohnDulleck on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:58 pm

So, it's been a week now and is developing a nice sour tangy aroma.

But this ferment got off to a pretty slow start. It was three days until I saw the first bubbles, and when I opened the lid after four days I noticed a little bit of white mold on the cabbage leaf, which I scraped off and made sure the whole leaf was under the brine again.

I have not tasted the beans yet as I am not really ready to remove the cabbage leaf. I will let it go another week and then taste and likely refrigerate.

I was surprised at how slowly fermentation started even with sauerkraut juice as a starter. I guess I assumed that the lacto bacteria would attack the carbohydrates of the beans and the fermentation would be quits active, but that was not the case. I am wondering if a little sugar might have helped get things started quicker and gotten the acidity up a bit faster.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby Tibor on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:15 am

Sounds like it's going along just fine . I don't pay much attention to when things happen just as long as fermentation is going along. I just started my second black eye pea ferment a few days ago with more onions, garlic, carrots and a jalapeno pepper. My first batch is almost gone and everybody thought it was great . I wouldn't add sugar. You seem to have a good ferment going. Let us know how it turns out .
Tibor

Postby JohnDulleck on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:02 pm

I just tasted the beans for the first time tonight after a 2 1/2 week ferment, and they are delicious!

When I started this, I expected that a 2-3 week soak in acidic brine would soften the beans some. It didn't. So the beans are still undercooked slightly and chewier than I would normally like them, but the flavor is great!

Main takeaway, let the beans cook fully next time, including a few minutes cook time for the green beans, but I will definitely be doing this again.
JohnDulleck

Return to Vegetable Ferments