1st time Ferment: Black and white mold

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

1st time Ferment: Black and white mold

Postby 888evans888 on Mon May 30, 2011 5:16 pm

So I would assume most 1st time fermenters get anxious when they first come across their mold. My ferment has been fully submerged under the brine for 2 weeks now. Being away I didn't check up on them until now. On the sides of the water bag weight where the brine comes up their is black and white mold. Ive seen on the forums where they give white the color of ok, but does black mean I should toss the batch? If it is bad mold, because its on the brine surface, does that mean it has affected the whole brine? To the old timers... your suggestions and advice would be in much gratitudes! xoxo
888evans888

Re: 1st time Ferment: Black and white mold

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 pm

Clean out all the mold you can. I use a spoon first and then wipe down the glass with vinegar on a rag. Once that's dry, sniff it. If it doesn't smell terrible, taste it. If it doesn't taste bad, then it's good!

I'd probably discard the bag of brine you were using, but I use glass jars for that purpose and I just clean them up.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: 1st time Ferment: Black and white mold

Postby Nsfermenter on Thu May 11, 2017 11:41 am

I've got black and white mold in my first batch also, it didn't appear until around week 3.
Mine seems to be ok after I removed the moldy cabbage leaves off the top, how is yours, is it ok?

Does it taste right?
;)
Nsfermenter

Return to Vegetable Ferments