First jar of sauerkraut is in the 'fridge!

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

First jar of sauerkraut is in the 'fridge!

Postby AnnieBoo on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:48 am

My first-ever ferment is a success!

I did two mason jars of sauerkraut, they're about 3 weeks old.

We couldn't resist eating some of it, so one jar has now been moved into the 'fridge and is already nearly halfway gone. :lol: I'm going to let the other one go another week or so and see how different it tastes.

I've never tasted sauerkraut besides grocery store sauerkraut - oh boy is it different! My husband & I have been just putting it into bowls and eating it as a snack, it's that good.

And maybe I just got lucky, but that was SO easy. Some kind of wonderful magic happened in my cupboard and I will never buy sauerkraut again!
AnnieBoo

Re: First jar of sauerkraut is in the 'fridge!

Postby JohnDulleck on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 am

I share your enthusiasm AnnieBoo! I have done a few jars of sauerkraut so far, and the last two were at 3 and 4 weeks. At 3 weeks it was really delicious and had a very pleasant crunch to it. At 4 weeks the flavor had gotten even better, but I noticed it had lost just a little of its crunchiness, so for me, I think 3-4 weeks is about optimum

And now I have started to experiment a little. I have a purple cabbage kraut with thin slices of onion added that I will be tasting for the first time n a couple of days, and another with green cabbage and thin slices of daikon radish that has been fermenting for just a week.

I am glad you are enjoying your homemade krauts!
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby Gutted on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Fermented onion will really stink the place out. lol It will taste okay but while it is fermenting there will be a noticeable smell.

Congratulations on your success AnnieBoo. Have you tried using Red/purple colour Cabbage rather than green? Red/Blue/Black coloured foods have health benefits.
Gutted

Postby JohnDulleck on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:59 pm

I was surprised. The cabbage and onion didn't have that much smell. But the cabbage and daikon radish that I started last week has a much stronger aroma. My wife asked if I could move it into the garage.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby AnnieBoo on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Gutted wrote:Have you tried using Red/purple colour Cabbage rather than green?

That'll be next! For my first shot I figured it would be easier to see the changes in the veggie with green cabbage - I usually do prefer purple cabbage.
AnnieBoo

Return to Vegetable Ferments