my first batch all so

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

my first batch all so

Postby red-oak on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:19 am

Yesterday I bought a fermentation croc and last night started my first batch of kaurt. I used vinegar and water to sterilize the equipment as directed by the maker of the crock. Next I cut up the cabbage and ran it through the food processor put it in to the croc pushed it down to pack it about 3.5 to 4 pounds added three table spoons of coarse unionised salt then a ceramic weight and place the fermentation lid on the croc. 12 hours later no change I was expecting it to start to make its owne brine? Do I need to make and add a brine to the batch at this point? thanks for your help in advance :?
red-oak

Re: my first batch all so

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Did you salt the cabbage only after packing it in the crock?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Tibor on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:21 pm

You need to mix the salt with the cabbage before you put it in the crock. I add a tablespoon after I chop a pound or so and add another and another as I add cabbage to my bowl and whatever else I mix in. Then I mix and mash it well and then tamp it into the crock in layers, than the ceramic weight or plate and then a heavier weight( I use a gallon of water in a jug in my 3 gallon crock) and then cover it. You could also use a washed stone on your weight.The weight of the ceramic ones-to me- is not enough with kraut. I hardly ever need to add extra brine if I'm using fresh cabbage. I usually have a good cover in a few hours.
I would dump out your kraut into a bowl, mix and mash it and put it back in and it should be fine.
Tibor

Postby red-oak on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:26 pm

thanks that is exactly what I will do thanks again I will keep you posted :)
red-oak

Postby red-oak on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:07 pm

all is well I hope took it out mixed and replace it back I the crock and looks like I think it should thanks I will keep up to date :D
red-oak

Postby alisoncc on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 pm

I make kraut on a regular basis. After chopping up the cabbage I always massage/bruise the cabbage whilst mixing in the salt, and before packing it into the jars. Spend a good twenty minutes working the cabbage, taking whole hands-full at a time and squeezing them together. The fresher the cabbage the more liquid I will get at the bottom of the container, and I always work the cabbage until there is easily visible free-standing liquid at the bottom. Have never had a need to add any extra liquid.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Postby red-oak on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 am

Well things are looking good no molds or unusual colors and I have seen small bubbles, I am waiting for the one full week mark to try it I am getting excited as I have failed a few times in the past and have 3 friends that have not had successes so you can imagine my excitement will report back after the taste test tanks again
red-oak

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 am

At one week, you should expect it to have barely changed at all. I think it's good for a new fermenter to taste it every day, so I'm not discouraging that, I just want to make sure you don't think it might be done then. Three weeks is the earliest that I'd consider calling it something other than cabbage and it doesn't really get funky for a few months.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby red-oak on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:52 am

well it is just past one week time to try the kraut. It has a very small amount of what looks like a white mold I know I did not do every thing perfect and it is a learning curve. I used a glass fermentation crock and placed it on the counter to keep an eye on it should I of placed it in a warm dry and dark place. I will report back after I give it a try thanks for all the expert advice in advance. Ok I opened it up and took off the top layer taste tested and cleaned to lid and ceramic weight and added a salt mix brine to cover the cabbage. I found it to be very salty so I rinsed off the bit I tasted it tasted like very weak Kraut but good , and it is crunchy I think its going to take a couple of more weeks to be complete
red-oak

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 am

In general, kraut is a cool-temp ferment. I wouldn't want it too much warmer than 70F/21C.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Next

Return to Vegetable Ferments