slightly bulk produce?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

slightly bulk produce?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri May 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for pursuing bulk produce purchases? If I want to make 20 gallons of pickles or kraut, what's a better approach than just going to my organic coop and buying them at grocery store prices?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: slightly bulk produce?

Postby CulturedCascadian on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:28 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is heading out to the nearest farm when the time comes to harvest what you're looking for. There's a farm about ten miles from my house with a huge field of kirby cukes and dill that you go harvest for yourself.

If that's inconvenient, look into whether there are any farm shares available near you. A coworker joined one a few years back and he gets a big box of produce delivered to a drop-off location near his home from the local farmer consisting of whatever is in season and available that week. You could contact the farmer via the share and just ask if you could please get a box of whatever you might be interested in and ask him for a quote. At least it would be local and fresh.

I've found that farmers markets are just not what they used to be. Nowadays, around here at least, they seem to have become ripoffs that just sell substandard produce that wasn't pretty enough for the grocery-store shelves for basically the same price. I have no faith that any of it is organic or non-GMO frankenfood and it's certainly not local, so I'd suggest treating them as a last resort along with the grocery stores unless you have knowledge to the contrary. Good luck!
CulturedCascadian

Postby CulturedCascadian on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Actually, here's a handy link for you to try out. I I don't know how far their reach is but it seems to be nationwide (US).

https://www.localharvest.org
CulturedCascadian

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 am

Neat, thank you!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby MikeSchlossmann on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Excellent link, thank you!
MikeSchlossmann

Return to Vegetable Ferments