Sauerkraut Troubleshooting

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Sauerkraut Troubleshooting

Postby vicxz on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:23 pm

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Sauerkraut.
I am new to making it and so far have attempted about a dozen times over the last 2 years.

First attempts were using store-bought cabbages, then farmers' market cabbages then finally this year, my own home-grown cabbages.
I am using a pure salt, no additives in varying concentrations between 2-3% by weight. Distilled water. Fermentation length between 3-6 weeks at a controlled 19-20 degrees Celsius.

Except for my first attempt which failed horribly, all of my other batches have turned out exactly the same and I am here to ask the fermentation community at large a question:

What does sauerkraut taste like?

I don't know anyone who has made or tasted home-made sauerkraut - including myself before I made it.

Every batch I have made (using different cabbages, salt concentrations, methods, etc.) has turned out exactly the same - weirdly fruity, with an almost acetone-like grape-y scent and taste.

Since all my attempts have turned out the same am I somehow A) messing it up or B) this is how sauerkraut is supposed to taste and I just don't like it?

What does your sauerkraut smell/taste like?
vicxz

Re: Sauerkraut Troubleshooting

Postby Christopher Weeks on Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:28 am

Fruity, sour, musky, notes of acetone maybe, but not a strong sense of it.

I'd propose two courses of action:

1) Find some commercial live saurkraut and try that. They probably know what they're doing and have tight controls to produce a consistent product. See if you like that.

2) Make a batch where you taste a nibble of it every three days. Follow the flavor development as it progresses over, say, 12 weeks. See what you think about it over time.

And for what purpose are you using water? Cabbages that haven't been sitting in the cellar for four months have all the water they need trapped in their tissue.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby SlavicBeauty on Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:40 am

Try making this Ukrainian style fermented cabbage. It takes 4-5 days. It tastes so good. It's a matter of taste of course, but I find it very tasty.
chill it before eating
I add sunflower oil when I serve.
https://youtu.be/QbydWsGNHcQ
SlavicBeauty

Postby Daniel46 on Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 am

Hello and thank you @SlavicBeauty for the video, I will try to test these methods.
Daniel46

Postby SlavicBeauty on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:11 am

Daniel46 wrote:Hello and thank you @SlavicBeauty for the video, I will try to test these methods.

Sure, I will be happy to answer any questions.
SlavicBeauty

Return to Vegetable Ferments