How to make fermented grains without cooking?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

How to make fermented grains without cooking?

Postby fieldhigh_m3 on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:02 am

Hullo there - am wondering if it would be possible to make a natto-type thing but with grains, but without any cooking? Would the grains have to be sprouted before fermenting?
fieldhigh_m3

Re: How to make fermented grains without cooking?

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm

When I first got into sprouting and fermenting I imagined it would be doubly great to have raw sprouted food that was fermented. But I still have not founds way of integrating uncooked sprouts in certain types of ferments....namely those that will require an invitation to spoilage.

The particular problem with raw or sprouted grains, legumes, etc. is they will undoubtedly have all kinds of spores already growing on them, and the moist and highly-nutritious sprouts present and ideal growing environment. That's why you're supposed to rinse your sprouts often.

So how to overcome this? The first most obvious option is to sterilize your fermenting medium by cooking it. But that defeats the purpose. Another option is to introduce the sprouts to a salt brine or acidic solution that inhibits the growth of unwanted bugs. Another option is to use a culture that overtakes the medium rapidly and creates it's own antibiotic agents to prevent spoilage.

Does natto culture do this? Don't know. But it might be worth experimenting with, given the culture probably doesn't cost too much. I can tell you right now this experiment would likely go very badly if you were to use koji though.

Maybe blanching would be a good compromise?
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Re: How to make fermented grains without cooking?

Postby setshap on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:32 pm

im also very interested in fermenting sprouts,
i want to make my own protein/health drink for my busy lifestyle.

combine a variety of grains like germinated brown rice, flax, green pea,

how could i ferment these? i dont like the salt mixture makes it salty. i read somewhere that green tea also works to suppress bacteria growth. also h202. also, using acid water to clean. and presoaking with japanese beneficial microorganism controls it. i have also worked with indigenous micro, cultivating them on my own and done the presoaking before growth. now that i have the basic components, i believe them to be sterile for raw fermentation.

how do i ferment this. could i use kombucha. or do i have to buy some kind of bacteria formula. once i do i would like to dehydrate everything. i also want to combine my dehydrated wheat grass juice.

any recommendations?
setshap

Return to Grain Ferments