100% whole wheat sourdough?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

100% whole wheat sourdough?

Postby greasehoot on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Hey hey! Just wanted to shoot out a quick question and see if anyone has any experience with this. I made a sourdough starter with 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup ripened kefir milk. After a couple days it's bubbling quite well. I have been looking for a simple all wheat sourdough recipe but they all seem to incorporate white flour as well! Does anyone have a recipe they could share? Tips? Thanks in advance!
greasehoot

Re: 100% whole wheat sourdough?

Postby Tibor on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:43 pm

In Wild Fermentations, Sandor Katz shares the recipe for 100% sourdough onion Rye Bread and I see no reason you couldn't do that with wheat. The recipe I am talking about is a fermented sponge, not a yeasted ,kneaded bread. I've been making the rye bread for years and I encourage you to try that as well. It's excellent bread.
Tibor

Postby greasehoot on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:07 am

Thanks for the response! I checked out the recipe and I'm going to try it. Any reasons you can think of that using 100% whole wheat flour wouldn't work?
greasehoot

Postby Tibor on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:26 am

I have never tried a 100% fermented WW recipe and not sure how the consistency would compare to a rye sponge. I would also hope you would use organic, so you wouldn't need to try to ferment Roundup residue on the wheat. Just experiment. That is the wonderful part of learning stuff.
If you try Sandor's recipe for 100% sourdough rye, I want to let you know that I bake the loaves at 350* for around 2 1/2 hours and after it cools completely, I put them in a plastic bag and let them "rest" for 2 days before I dig in. That softens the rind ,among other things. The rye bread will not even think about molding for at least 2 weeks. Wheat intolerant friends have no problem with this rye bread.
Tibor

Postby Bobbo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi,
I've been using the method in the youtube video below and have been baking the best 100% wholemeal sourdough bread I've ever had.

The amounts given in the video are perfect for a 1 pound loaf tin.
The only thing I've changed is the baking time, I use 20 mins at 200c (fan assisted oven) then turn it down to 170c for a further 30 mins (50 mins total)
I've attached a photo of one of the loaves I baked yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBgfUfa-J9M

bread1.jpg
bread1.jpg (107.1 KiB) Viewed 3558 times

Hope that helps,

Rob.
Bobbo

Return to Grain Ferments