Pickling boiled eggs in liquid from a lactic acid ferment.

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Pickling boiled eggs in liquid from a lactic acid ferment.

Postby blk on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59 pm

I would like to lacto ferment some cabbage in a two quart jar and make sure I have a lot of space for liquid. I want to use the liquid to pickle some boiled eggs. Anyone ever done this or know anything about doing this?
blk

Re: Pickling boiled eggs in liquid from a lactic acid fermen

Postby Tibor on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:49 pm

I've done that and they turn out good. I suggest that you boil the eggs a bit longer to make sure they are good and firm. I have left the eggs submerged in brine on the counter for 5 days and then refrigerated for a month before they were brined all the way thru. I really enjoyed adding some beet to the brine so that the egg white gets red and the yolk turns an amazing burgundy of sorts. You could also make your kraut out of red cabbage to get the same sort of effect in your brine. Sliced fermented eggs like this make a great presentation. Coloring the brine makes for an easy way to tell when the egg has been completely brined. I also added a bit of Serrano pepper and garlic to the brine for extra flavor . Add whatever suits you and try one after a few weeks to see where it is at. Do let us know how they turn out.
Tibor

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:21 am

(relocated)

I've done this too, and they're universally good, though I haven't had the brine penetrate the egg the way Tibor described. Mine develop a dense outer shell or rind and that grows very, very slowly inward.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Christine on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:34 am

Is it better to first ferment e. g. red beet and then ferment the hard boiled eggs in the resulting brine or do I ferment beets plus eggs all in the same run?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Christine
Christine

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:57 pm

I haven't tried both approaches. If no one else gets back to us on your question, It would be neat for you to do both things and report back on your findings!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Tibor on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:25 pm

I've done it both ways. A few times I added fermented beet juice with some fermented beets and once added fresh beets to the hard boiled eggs. I added pickle juice to the one with fresh beets and topped whichever way I did it with 3.6% brine. Either way it turns red and ferments. One time the eggs started to go soft after a few months in the fridge. That is why I suggest you hard boil the eggs longer than 10 minutes, maybe 12. I've added garlic and sarrano peppers a few times. Let us know how yours comes out.
Tibor

Return to Miscellaneous