New Scoby or something bad?

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

New Scoby or something bad?

Postby fermentastic on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:21 am

I purchased a mostly dried scoby from an online retailer that specializes in fermented food supplies.

The first 2 times you make kombucha with it, you add a little white vinegar to the mix, then by the third time you are supposed to just add a little of the last batch of kombucha.

In the first couple of batches, no new scoby was made, but I think that's not unusual with this setup. I'm on the third batch, and I have something on the top of the kombucha, but I'm not sure if it's good or bad. It isn't fuzzy or anything.
a few days ago.
IMG_1141-e.jpg
early on
IMG_1141-e.jpg (163.27 KiB) Viewed 2680 times

Now, I disturbed it the other day to get a little kombucha out to taste and test the acidity.
IMG_1191-e.jpg
a few days later
IMG_1191-e.jpg (230.47 KiB) Viewed 2680 times

So, do I need to get rid of this stuff or is it a good thing?
fermentastic

Re: New Scoby or something bad?

Postby blenderbender on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:01 am

Hi... wish I could help but as I'm also having similar issues with my latest batch..... you'd think with 90 views someone might chime in already. You didn't say if it tasted okay. I always figure if it doesn't taste ok then it probably isn't. Not very scientific here. Good luck!
blenderbender

Re: New Scoby or something bad?

Postby fermentastic on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:41 am

blenderbender wrote:Hi... wish I could help but as I'm also having similar issues with my latest batch..... you'd think with 90 views someone might chime in already. You didn't say if it tasted okay. I always figure if it doesn't taste ok then it probably isn't. Not very scientific here. Good luck!

It didn't taste off. It's not getting very acidic (ph 4.4 per test sticks after a month). The stuff seemed to stop growing though and is mostly gone. I've been just letting it sit, wondering what will happen over time.
fermentastic

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments