Kombucha carbonation

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Kombucha carbonation

Postby olivesaxer on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:04 am

Has anybody tried bottling kombucha in beer bottles? The capped kind, rather than screw top...

I am assuming that they would work, but if anyone has had catastrophic results from doing this, please share!
olivesaxer

Postby AmazonianUnknown on Sun May 03, 2009 6:05 pm

Yep,

We've bottled kombucha in beer bottles with a bottle capper. Left at room temp, it carbonates well (mightily well, if given longer than a few weeks). In the fridge, or outside in cold climes, the carbonation is stalled at whatever level it was before being cooled.
AmazonianUnknown

Postby elektrogeist on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:00 am

grolsch style swing top bottles work best/easiest, but any tightly sealing container will do so long as you don't over-prime. i normally add an amount of wolfberries to do the carbonating. of all things i've used they seem to work best, even get a frothy foam top on it like a good beer ;) best use trial and error until you find what works best for you, trying to flavor with most other fruits flavors hasn't ever worked out well for me though, but if you must its most convenient to use a concentrated syrup.
elektrogeist

Postby TeresaRex on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Just make sure your bottles are clean
Any glass container will work ,the most important thing is that there is a good seal,and the temperature is between 65 and 80
The warmer the temperature the quicker it carbonates.
For more good tips check out :
http://www.royalkombucha.com/how-to-add ... r-kombucha
They also welcome phone calls if you wanna chat .
TeresaRex

Postby abcd on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:10 am

I usually brew ~3 litres of kombucha per batch, and bottle it in Grolsch-type bottles when it's ready. I have a rythm, so one bottle goes straight in the fridge for immediate consumption while the other two get to ferment longer and develop carbonation. As much as the bottles I used are washed, I never get obsessed about cleanliness - a good rince with a tad of dish soap, if you wish, is more than enough. What you read on beer-making websites is very often grossly exaggerated.
Re carbonation, I used to get a fairly flat beverage, but found a trick to increase carbonation. Just don't follow the piece of advice given on the beer-making sites that prompts you to leave out the dregs out of the bottle. The dregs, in your kombucha pot, are yeast deposits; and yeast is what makes carbonation happens.
So to make a long story short - to get carbonation, stir the kkombucha thoroughly until all the sediment is flying around in your brew, then bottle and leave a few days/week in a warmish place (I put my bottles on the top of the boiler).
cheers
abcd

Postby LGivis on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:05 am

My water kefir carbonates extremely well and have used raw sugar or molasses to feed the grains. The kombucha never comes out carbonated. Has anyone ever combined a couple of tablespoons of water kefir to kombucha or are we talking biological warfare here between the probiotics?

For the kombucha, I have never put in extra sugar at bottling as I find the liquid is already sweet enough. I usually drink a lot of water during the day and have never been a big swiller of commercial pop. I'm in it for the probiotic benefits.
LGivis

Previous

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments