Peasant Cheese (Fermented Bulgur)

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Peasant Cheese (Fermented Bulgur)

Postby cincinnatifermenter on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Hello I am currently in the process of making some peasant cheese and was wondering if anyone knew a water to bulgur ratio? I just used four cups of bulgur and about five cups of water. Also do I add water during the fermentation process as it is absorbed or no?
cincinnatifermenter

Re: Peasant Cheese (Fermented Bulgur)

Postby nofuturenocry on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:10 pm

I added just a litle bit more water than bulgur by volume, after two weeks this mix looks like creamy cheese, all water absorbed. Bulgur grains are dissolved. I think this cheese no need any additional water in a fermentation process.
nofuturenocry

Postby cincinnatifermenter on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking forward to trying the finished product it smells great already.
cincinnatifermenter

Postby vortexforest on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 pm

What is Peasant Cheese?
vortexforest

Postby bluewren on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:50 pm

would it be possible to do this with gluten free grains?

I'm trying to find a cheese substitute that my entire family will be able to eat. We have gluten & dairy intolerances, soy sensitivity and nut free school policies to contend with. Bulgur is wheat which is gluten, so it's out. But making cheese with grains is intriguing to me.
bluewren

Postby Aliyanna on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:22 pm

I also would love to make this, was thinking millet or maybe teff???
Aliyanna

Postby Cosmic Frog on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 am

I'm at about 2.5 weeks with this, too. It's very tangy and will benefit from some salt when I add the herbs later. The smell is a tad off-putting so far, it reminds me of my nuka-zuke pot! I think that it will all pay off in the end. It fascinating to watch how creamy it getting and how the bulgar wheat is breaking down.
I'll keep you posted!
Brian
Brian
Cosmic Frog

Postby ufchristian on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Have just jarred my first batch in olive oil after 3 weeks fermentation at a temperature range of 12 to 25C. Like Cosmic Frog, I found the smell off-putting as well, not rotten, just not pleasant. I'm now debating whether I should allow the jars to sit in the cupboard or put them in the fridge. The presence of tiny bubbles indicates the fermentation process is still quite active, but this first batch is very much an experiment.

Cosmic Frog wrote:I'm at about 2.5 weeks with this, too. It's very tangy and will benefit from some salt when I add the herbs later. The smell is a tad off-putting so far, it reminds me of my nuka-zuke pot! I think that it will all pay off in the end. It fascinating to watch how creamy it getting and how the bulgar wheat is breaking down.
I'll keep you posted!
Brian
ufchristian

Postby Cosmic Frog on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Well it seems like my Po' Man's cheese has crossed to the "other side". The smell has intensified and now white mold has shown up on the surface, even though I've been stirring it every day. The main taste is a great sour flavor, kinda like feta or yogurt. Sadly,it also tastes of too much mold, which to me ruins it. I don't mind some funky flavors (like strong kimchi or funky rice bran radishes, pungent cheese) but this it a bit too raunchy for me. Texture of the stuff is fantastic; creamy, fairly smooth and would have been easy to roll into balls.
I'm going to try again and ferment it for 2-3 weeks.
Perhaps adding salt at the beginning or later on would keep the mold from forming, but allow fermentation to continue.
Any thoughts?
Brian
Cosmic Frog

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:18 am

how r u making this?? maybe change starter??? something with less affinity to mold???
Aliyanna

Next

Return to Grain Ferments