Fermented Wakame or Arame Possible?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermented Wakame or Arame Possible?

Postby andifm9 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Quite excited for my first post. Hi everyone. I really enjoy eating sea vegetables. I started with macrobiotics a few years ago and had prepared wakame in miso soups and cooked arame with squash for example. However, I found that my food was soggy by the time I had to eat at work some 3-4 hours later and really did not enjoy it especially during winter. Now I would like to experiment with fermented sea vegetables as a way to enjoy packed lunches along with other dishes. Has anyone tried pickling sea vegetables on their own or in combination with other vegetables (I am doing a napa/wakame trial right now)? From what I know sea vegetables are high in oxalates, does any know if and how fermentation lower oxalates in sea and other vegetables?
andifm9

Re: Fermented Wakame or Arame Possible?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:42 am

I know nothing about the nutrition of it, but I have made several high-seaweed kimchis and it works fine -- I like them! One issue is that it sometimes produces a ton of gelatinous stuff that is a little offputting, but seems harmless. This is a phenomenon people encounter when fermenting sweet roots (beets especially, but carrot too) which folks say is dextran -- I'm not sure if it's the same thing or just a similar texture.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby andifm9 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks for the insight. Did you leave the sea vegetable kimchi to soak for a set period? I noticed that when I soak my grains with kombu or leave soaked kombu in the fridge it does become gelatinous.
andifm9

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:49 am

I'm not precisely sure what you're asking. I generally brine kimchi ingredients for a day, then drain them and use what's left on/in them as the new brine. So then they sit in the reduced brine for 3-100 weeks before being eaten.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Vegetable Ferments