Glass weights for mason jars - solved!

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Glass weights for mason jars - solved!

Postby SarahP on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi

I'm a newbie to these forums, but I've been lurking here and fermenting for a while. I just discovered what looks like a great product. I don't know the person who makes these, but I have just ordered some of his weights and I wanted to share it here and help him promote them. Below is the email info I received.

Happy fermenting!

-------------------------------------------
"I have a brand new product which is very useful in lacto fermented vegetables made in a jar.

They are glass canning jar weights made especially to use in lacto fermented preserving. The standard size fits perfectly into a standardcanning jar, and I also have wide mouth size for wide mouth jars.

This is a brand new product that was developed to keep the vegetables below the level of the the brine solution in the jar, which is really about the only cause of possible failure when using lacto fermenting preserving methods.

You get 1 pound of weights, which is approximately 9-10 standard weights, or 6-7 wide mouth weights for $9.95 plus shipping.

They are made of non iridized glass and are completely inert and
will not leach chemicals into your ferments.

They are listed on Ebay, just search for 'lacto ferment glass jar weights'.

Richard Washburn
Maine"
SarahP

Re: Glass weights for mason jars - solved!

Postby lizzieb on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:37 am

Thank you so much for sharing! That is EXACTLY what I have been looking for -- will order some today.
lizzieb

Postby rayne on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Oh, I just did the search on eBay and there were no results. Maybe the weights aren't listed right now? I'm excited to see them though ...
rayne

Postby mvpooh on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 am

Ok so I have ordered these weights and am currently using them 2 per jar of wide mouth size for carrots and kraut in wide mouth canning jars... they are working so well... the seller Richard Washburn sometimes runs out on ebay but his private website to order is... AND they are usually less in price than ebay http://home.beeline-online.net/revrick/ ... erfect.htm
mvpooh

Postby peedeebee on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:12 am

Those weights are great! there are also several other options including Crock Rocks and Pickle Pebbles. Those options are both a bit better because they are larger and heavier. Both are available on Amazon and ebay. Pickle Pebbles can also be purchased at http://www.masontops.com
peedeebee

Postby Ido on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:49 pm

I ordered from Richard recently,
he's decent, sent overseas easily.
the price is ridicoulsly low, while at it order an air lock.
the down sides:
some of the glass broke and still does under pressure (luckily I ordered many), and, it's still not heavy enough for my needs,
but for now it's great and recommended.
I'm still on the hunt for a good solution,
wish I could find a flexible mesh that ain't plastic/metal that's cool with acidic food....
Ido

Return to Vegetable Ferments