yogurt experiments...

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

yogurt experiments...

Postby tdhd on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi all--I've been making milk yogurt for a few weeks now and loving it!!

Anyhow, I'm always loveing to experiment and push boundaries and limits of a process and wondering whether anyone has any interesting yogurt findings/experiments to share.

For example: I added some maple syrup prior to fermentation and found texture was slightly altered...a bit crumbly and noticeably thicker.

Added some citrus leaves before heating the milk--obviously didn't affect fermentation but it was delicious!

Anyone have any other ideas of kinda wild things to try when making yogurt?

Planning to experiment with honey as I hear that it affects yogurt fermentation--going to see if I can DO anything with those effects.

I also just ordered some other cultures for viili and other types of yog.
tdhd

Re: yogurt experiments...

Postby xendula on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi,
I have heard of people cross contaminating kefir with vili by accident. The result is "kefilli" and not suposed to taste too great. I would be very interested in the results of fil mjolk with kefir. Unfortunately, I never thought of mixing the two when I still hadboth in use, and always kept them on separate counters.

I would steer away from honey in your experiments, as it may kill the bacteria in yogurt and in kefir. Mix it in afterwards, but not during incubation/fermentation.

BTW: I have been making thermophilic yogurt for over 20 years... Got my first yogurt maker when I was still in highschool. Rule number one has always been to not let metal touch anything.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiments!
xendula

Postby tdhd on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm

I've been too occupied with my new mesophillic cultures now to do much more experimenting with my yogurt but will certainly be doing some experimentation soon...
tdhd

Postby dmc on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:13 am

"Rule number one has always been to not let metal touch anything."

I've been heating my milk up in stainless steel and my thermometer is made from stainless steel. My yogurt still hasn't been satisfactory and now I'm wondering if it's because of that. Why is metal bad for the process? What shall I use instead?
dmc

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 am

Dmc, at this stage of the process (heating) metal should make no difference. It's when the ferment becomes acidified that it might react with metal. This should have no bearing on the outcome of your yogurt.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Dairy Ferments