Jun!

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Jun!

Postby Isabel on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Everyone,
I just took Sandor's class over the last two days, and I came home with a Jun baby...
I'd like to hear if you all have stories, recipes, etc.
Thanks,
Isabel
Isabel

Re: Jun!

Postby Isabel on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:33 am

I found this cute video about jun.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IKIOf4lZ14s
Isabel

Postby faeriemum on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I have never heard of Jun before. Im intrigued. Does the beverage it makes taste similiar to kombucha? Id assume so, but never having heard of it, I figure I'd ask.

Peace,
Jen
faeriemum

Postby Isabel on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:26 pm

The little bit I tasted was yummier than Kombucha, since it has honey instead of sugar. It's kind of sour-so it tastes kind of like lemon aid.
But mine seems to have too much yeast, and i am not sure how it's doing.
Isabel

Postby faeriemum on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Interesting. I wasn't aware that kombucha (i say this because Ive never done jun) could have too much yeast. I typically dont wash my fermentation jar and leave the yeast and 1 cup or so of kombucha starter in the jar for the next batch. My scobys do get quite a bit of yeast on them, the mother in particuliar.
Is there such a thing as too much yeast in kombucha?

Peace,
Jen
kombucha and beer.jpg
Fermentation station
kombucha and beer.jpg (41.32 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
faeriemum

Postby Isabel on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:33 pm

I don't have a clue Jen. I am new to all this and never done Kombucha.
My Jun scoby looked pretty good after about 10 days (we went away) It had a new one on top, so I guess i did something right, but was pretty vinegary, so I added the scoby and some new honey and green tea to start a new batch...we'll see what happens!
ISabel
Isabel

Postby malory.foster on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:16 am

Hi! I took Sandor's intensive class in April and also got a jun scoby from him there. I love it so much better than kombucha. While my kombucha struggles through location changes (when I move) and a bit of neglect at times, my jun just keeps on trucking. I like the taste of both as they are different and equally yummy in their own ways, the jun is just so much more prolific and easy to care for. I've used many different kinds of green tea when I make it but have used the same jar of Thomas Honey which is raw. I do 1.5 liters tea to 1/2 cup honey and let it sit usually about 5 to 7 days. Next I'm going to try to bottle it in the fridge a few more days to increase the carbonation!

Malory
malory.foster

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments