Mold or fermentation not touching the edge of the carboy

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Mold or fermentation not touching the edge of the carboy

Postby salixjuan on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:13 pm

I pressed 35L of apples and the juice was pourred into a clean carboy with a muslin cloth on top, aiming to make wild fermented cider.

After 4 days of no action, the carboy showed some white particles at 4 pm (16h)
16.jpg
16.jpg (61.21 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
, which multiplied by 8 pm (20h)
20.jpg
20.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

I suspect my juice is infected with mold, and I'm wondering how this can be solved.

I'm guessing 4 days is too short to give up wild fermentation, but when should I espect the wild yest to start foaming up my juice?

If too much mold keeps growing, I might have to pasteurize and use a commercial yeast. Unless a better solution, what would you recommend doing?

Maybe I should transfer my juice to a container with less head-space? Throw a couple of organic apple skins? I'm eager to hear any suggestions, share and learn!
salixjuan

Re: Mold or fermentation not touching the edge of the carboy

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:11 am

Welcome to Wild Fermentation!

Maybe start a conversation in the alcohol ferments board. I can't tell enough from your images, but what I see looks like foam on the surface, kicked up by yeasts doing their thing below. Are you sure that it's not that?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here