New to the fermentation

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

New to the fermentation

Postby Ferm_Umami on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 pm

Hey everyone,

I have just starting to get into fermentation, I am a culinary student at The Culinary Institute of America. I really got interested in fermentation when I was living in Japan and with so many different ways to ferment and preserve food I figured this would be a great way to reduce food waste. So my first attempt at fermenting was making kimchi I let it stay in a cool dark place for 4-5 days before refrigerating. In the first few days, I tasted the cabbage and it had a slightly sour flavor with a bit of heat and brine after the 4th day the flavor became really sour and spices began to become too spicy. After some research, I realized that it stayed out for too long it is still good but not for eating as a side dish I will be using it for stews. Some next projects I will attempt are Japanese pickles and plum wine. I want to explore fermentation with beverages as well. Does anyone have a website that they recommend for their fermentation needs?
Ferm_Umami

Re: New to the fermentation

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:30 am

Welcome to Wild Fermentation.

Feel free to post questions in the other boards now.

Just as a quick response: I ferment my kimchi for several weeks at room temp before I start eating it and sometimes up to six months. It's good in the first few days, but not what I'd call a fermented food -- more like a spicy slaw with potential. :-)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here