INTRO + hot sauce question (day 30, no bubbles- is it dead?)

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

INTRO + hot sauce question (day 30, no bubbles- is it dead?)

Postby EastVanKitchen on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello forum friends! I am Kennedy from Vancouver in Canada! My partner Kim and I have been fermenting for a few years and occasionally post ferment recipes to our website eastvankitchen.com (you can get a free pdf download of our mostly vegetarian beginner's cookbook there if you want!). We mostly make curtido, kimchi and kombucha but once a year we make a hot sauce, which brings me to my question: I've been fermenting about 6-8 litres of hot peppers in a 1.5 cups water to 1T salt brine for 30 days. About 2 weeks ago I added 6-7 roasted red peppers. When I checked about a week ago I noticed there were no bubbles and the sauce had not overflowed or done anything very active (same sauce last year was very active!). I blended it and set it back out, but still no bubbles. Otherwise it seems fine, colour is bright, smells fermenty, usual white stuff on the surface (yeast?). Is it dead? Is it dangerous? Should I boil it? Chuck it out? Should I add some dry chick peas and try to re-ferment it? Boil then re-ferment? THANKS!
EastVanKitchen

Re: INTRO + hot sauce question (day 30, no bubbles- is it de

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:02 am

Welcome to Wild Fermentation!

You might want to post your situation over in the veggie ferments board to get more eyes on it. But, I often don't see bubbles, but the veggies ferment anyway. I'd do nothing. If you want to be sure, sure, test the pH to make sure it's down around 4.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here