Turmeric Sauerkraut

Polished recipes and procedures you want to share.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Turmeric Sauerkraut

Postby Tibor on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:50 am

Alright ! Let's do this.

Turmeric is an amazing tubular that has many medicinal properties and is delicious as well. Fresh turmeric is readily available in Asian markets and some coops. It does stain ,so wash your utensils right away. Adding it to kraut ups the beneficial probiotic properties by a lot, and it is a beautiful looking kraut and the presentation is awesome. I just love to watch my 2 year old granddaughter scarf it up.
I grow the vast majority of the veggies I ferment and I make larger quantities because I share a lot and have the extra refrigerator. How long you ferment this recipe is up to you but I keep it moderate so that the majority of my friends like it. Divide my recipe to accommodate your needs. This is what I did a couple of weeks ago and I think it's superb .

8 lbs. green cabbage chopped not grated.
1 1/2 lbs. chopped onions
8 big garlic cloves chopped ( My garlic is huge and I love lots of garlic)
1 lb. grated carrots . Makes the kraut look fabulous to boot !
7 oz. fresh grated Turmeric. Washed but not peeled.
5 TBS fine sea salt.
Mix, mash and smash and compact into your vessel .

I used my 3 gallon crock, weighed down with a gallon of water on a plate, and it made 5 quarts finished. I left it ferment for 17 days on the floor of my utility room.
Enjoy !
Tibor

Re: Turmeric Sauerkraut

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:14 am

I didn't think to print this out and take it with me, so I didn't end up following it quite right, but I set up a gallon of kraut last night inspired by this. It's made from: 1 3/4 medium heads green cabbage, 1 huge red onion, 2 jalapenos, half a bag of carrots (sliced thin, not grated), about half a pound of turmeric (gee, my hands and cutting board are yellow!) and about half a pound of ginger. And I didn't measure my salt, but I'm guessing I used too much.

It's my first time working with fresh turmeric, and boy does that stuff smell good. It's also sort of crumbly -- I expected it to be like ginger in composition.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Tibor on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Turmeric should not be real crumbly unless it's a bit old . Turmeric is a different experience, for sure. Maybe next time leave out the Jalapeno and the ginger and let the Turmeric stand alone. That's the whole idea of this particular recipe.
I make a lot of delicious krautchi using just the ingredients you just used plus lots of garlic and without the turmeric. What you describe making should be real good !
Grate some turmeric up and simmer for 15 min. for a tea and add a tad of lemon and honey. It's great! I have designated one small SS pot for this purpose and it lives with a yellow hue -no big deal.
Welcome to the world of fresh turmeric ! The medicinal list is incredible.
Tibor

Postby gardener on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 pm

Whoa, I need to do this. I'd always heard that turmeric was good for a lot of ailments but never looked into until I noticed my needs-Ibuprofen-level of tendinitis was gone from both elbows after having curried eggs for breakfast three days in a row. Turmeric is a major ingredient in curry. Sow now I look for places to add turmeric to my foods. Yeah, why not in sauerkraut?

Thanks, Tibor!
gardener

Postby kimchiguy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:07 am

Among my favorite things to do with turmeric is adding lots to the brine when I'm fermenting hard boiled eggs. Dyes them a beautiful golden color.
kimchiguy

Return to Shared Recipes