My hopless (and hopeless) beer.

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

My hopless (and hopeless) beer.

Postby ampeyro on Sun May 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Even though I'm not very fond of it, I decided to try and make beer.

The idea was to make it with mixed corn and barley, but due to a mistake in translation I ended up buying oats and not barley, but it should still work...

Sprouting the grains was pretty straightforward, but there was a severe change in weather the same day I was supposed to sun-dry the grains, it's been raining since.
The grains took about a week to dry, some of them kept sprouting several days after they were supposed to dry.

I built a simple sous-vide style arduino powered contraption to mash my "malt". cracked the grains and mixed them with tap water to the texture of a porridge.
I set the device between 62 and 65ºC and let it "cook" for an hour.

The resulting liquid wasn't what I would call sweet and had a gravity of about 1.20

So far I've had it in heat for 3-4 hour and neither the gravity or the sweetness appear to increase.

Am I doing something incredibly wrong?
ampeyro

Re: My hopless (and hopeless) beer.

Postby Peter Martin on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:49 am

One way of accelerating the drying process is a very old-school German method: smoke drying. The German Rauchbier (smoked beer) is a wonderful thing, especially when made in accordance with the Purity Law.

This will give a smoky flavour (which I love, but it takes a lot of care to balance the flavours.
Peter Martin

Return to Alcohol Ferments