Dandelion Wine

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Dandelion Wine

Postby chlscyl on Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 pm

So I tried to wild ferment a dandelion wine. I made it over a week ago, and it has not started bubbling yet. I was planning on re-boiling and culturing somehow, but I did not want to add commercial yeast. No off-flavors or molds developing. Not yet, anyway.

Is it possible to backslop with a bit of purchased organic white wine?

Otherwise I was thinking my options would be to add some honey for wild yeast, or to collect more dandelions and add those. Or just bite the bullet and add commercial yeast.

Help? Thanks!
chlscyl

Re: Dandelion Wine

Postby khoomeizhi on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:45 am

this was 3 months old, so i'm guessing it was already solved, but now that it's been bumped by russian chat...

store-bought wine (even organic) doesn't have much (if any) living yeast in it. best options would be to add more of something bearing yeast or make a bug on the side that you can pitch in once you know it's going.

as much as yeasts are everywhere, i haven't found dandelions to be the best place to culture them from - maybe because the flowers are relatively short-lived, and don't have much chance to collect a multiplicity of bugs. my go-to's are fresh organic ginger (and fresh turmeric if i can find it), and/or any fresh fruit (read: just picked or similar) with a bit of bloom on the skin (plums or blueberries, etc).
khoomeizhi

Return to Alcohol Ferments