Using a ginger beer to create the next batch ferment

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Using a ginger beer to create the next batch ferment

Postby GingerBeerBob on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi everyone
This is my first time here making a post
I have been a long time creator of wild yeast ginger beer. Making a fresh ginger bug for each batch. A friend told he has difficulty creating his bug in a colder climate where he lives so he adds an older brewed ginger beer in as a replacement to creating a new started bug each time. I have done this a few times now. So, no new started bug is created, you just add in a ginger beer bottle from your previous brew. it definitely works and is a simple way to ferment however.... the carbonation is quite incredible. Within a week after making the brew and bottling the new bottles are very carbonated. Within a few days actually it would be carbonated. The bottles need to be super super chilled before opening and even so they lose liquid when opened. It is like opening Champagne on steroids. The taste possibly seems drier I guess because the sugars are carbonating much quicker. Any feedback to this. Does any one else do it this way.
GingerBeerBob

Re: Using a ginger beer to create the next batch ferment

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:05 am

I have not done that and it's been a few years since I was fermenting sodas last, but it certainly sounds promising. I'd say if you're having trouble with too much fermentation, just do it for less time. Is there some reason I'm not thinking of that that would cause problems?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Alcohol Ferments