Milk plus Yeast...( and a bit of Sugar)

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Milk plus Yeast...( and a bit of Sugar)

Postby Ronyon on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi, I'm a bread enthusiast, who is interested in other uses of domesticated microbial life.
In service of that interest, I have been researching yogurt and cheese making, which led me to Kefir. Hmm,fermented, healthy,boozy milk product? Yum. But I dont have any Kefir grains on hand , obviously. I do have the tail end of some brewers yeast...
Next morning I have some yeast boozy whey, and some curds of a sort.
Currently the curds are being pressed in the fridge, but I'm wondering- is this edible? Heck what would one call this ? I haven't been able to find the like online , though its seems like something obvious to do...Ate some the curds- tasted sorta like vodka flavored fat free cream cheese
I did add some sugar to the yeast and milk , and I rubber banded a plastic bag on top of the container, but truthfully, I was just screwing around.
Mostly , I want to know if this is a viable way to make cheese, alcohol, or both.
This is the best seeming place I have found thus far, for a question such as this, so what say you?

I thank you in advance for what every insight you can share...
Ronyon

fermenting milk with brewers' yeast

Postby nasal on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:11 pm

brewers' yeast eats the sugars in grains, so maybe they ate sugars in the milk.. it sounds like it fermented, since it smelled boozy. i'd say eat it, and drink the whey, and use both in cooking, and tell us what it's like and if you'd recommend it! when we don't have plans for any beers in the next few days, we throw away that massive foamy layer of yeast, and it'd be great to find other uses for porter-flavored brewers' yeast! cool experiment!

if you want to try kefir, you can try this website.. i got my kefir grains from someone for free off it: http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php
but i have no idea if it's maintained anymore... it's pretty old-school.
nasal

Return to Dairy Ferments