Sunflower seed cheese

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Sunflower seed cheese

Postby Angel on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:27 am

I recently tried making sprouted, fermented sunflower seed sour cream cheese without a starter, using this recipe: http://rainbowbridgetotheheart.com/2014 ... /#comments

I opted for using a bit of salt and no miso as she offers. It barely rose and the top layer oxidised to a dark brown colour, although the underneath did turn from grey to a warm cream colour. It smelled nice like Marmite/yeast extract. But it tasted like an extremely tangy sour cheese with a mild hint of Marmite and the tang was too much on my tongue!

I am wondering if it is supposed to smell or taste of yeast extract- does this suggest yeast?

Do you have experience with making seed cheese? Why might it not rise properly after a couple of days? Do you make it without a starter? Do you find that it is different to when you do use a starter? What is a good vegan starter?

In this post Bekah says that at a workshop Sandor said that you can use sauerkraut juice as a starter- I may try this next time.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82&p=440&hilit=sandor#p440
Angel

Re: Sunflower seed cheese

Postby bacteriaguy on Mon May 29, 2017 9:55 am

I always use a starter and it turns out better. A good vegan starter is rejuvelac, but needs to be very fresh rejuvelac, and it is best if it is already at room temperature when you use it as the starter.
bacteriaguy

Return to Dairy Ferments