non-sugar sweetener in batch?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

non-sugar sweetener in batch?

Postby gazaah on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:01 pm

I love making my own yogurt. I use a Cuisinart machine these days since it has a built in fermentation timer and little cooling panel to refrigerate the batch when the timer is off.

I really want to use a non-sugar sweetener but my first attempts with stevia drops (no alcohol, in glycerin) completely killed two cultures. :cry: I know it was the stevia drops as I put a little unsweetened mix to the side and it came out perfect.

I've boiled my fruit extracts to reduce alcohol before adding, all kind of different things to make my bacteria happy despite all the crap I add to the batch.

My current favorite is to use powdered milk in with whole milk or alone to create a thick Greek style yogurt without straining and with that strong protein mesh that normally you would see if adding gelatin or agar to the recipe. (I.e., 1 pkg culture or 1/4 cup last batch yogurt, 3 capfuls alcohol free vanilla, 2 capfuls lemon extract boiled if a high alcohol content brand, 4 cups filtered water, 2 cups dried milk, 10 drops yellow food coloring, warm ferment for 8 hours no boiling.)

I'm currently starting with freeze dried starter from yogourmet as I can do several more serial batches than from store bought or friend's yogurt as starter.

Any ideas for a low cal sweetener that won't kill my wonderful little bacterial friends?
gazaah

Re: non-sugar sweetener in batch?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:43 am

I don't have any idea -- the fruit I add is sweet enough for my palate.

Just to be sure we're on the same page, are you adding it in at the time of culture? If so, could you use your stevia but mix it in when you serve it?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: non-sugar sweetener in batch?

Postby dri on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:39 am

I agree with Christopher that adding just before serving should be safe, but I also get that stirring it in afterwards will break up the matrix and so might not be something you want to do.

Not exactly what you asked (which seems to be yogurt specific), but I've done a second ferment of kefir with powdered stevia and powdered milk to help make it thicker, and it did not negatively impact the overall second ferment -- it thickened up more, developed the kefir fizz and still separated out a little bit of whey, so at least some of the bacteria and some of the yeasts survived the stevia. So maybe experiment with powdered stevia and/or different yoghurts as starters.

For a small experiment, you might want to buy powdered stevia (normally also has other additives), but you can alway find powders stevia packets at a coffee shop, or get someone to grab some for you. :mrgreen:
dri

Return to Dairy Ferments