Cheese and Tofu parallels -- mainly Magnesium Chloride

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Cheese and Tofu parallels -- mainly Magnesium Chloride

Postby bjdmytro on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Don't flame at me! I know that tofu isn't cheese, but both are forms of a coagulated protein and lipid matrix. I'm just exploring some of my curiosities here...

I've been exploring some of the parallels between cheese and tofu over the last year. I've noticed that cheese often uses Calcium Chloride for a firm curd, which is often used to set tofu. My favorite ingredient to set tofu is Nigari, a collection of sea salts that is mostly Magnesium Chloride. It yields a sweeter curd than calcium. I've also seen calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, and even lemon juice used, but the firmest of the tofu uses a combination of magnesium chloride and calcium sulfate. Once, I use a wild lactobacillus culture to set a cream cheese like tofu.

Is Magnesium Chloride used in cheese making? I've also wondered about fermenting tofu after curdling it, in a similar manner as cheese. Has anyone ever aged/fermented a tofu like a cheese.

I've also been wondering about aged and fermented tofu, done in a similar manner to cheese. Has anyone done anything like this?
bjdmytro

Return to Dairy Ferments