Aspergillus cheese

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Aspergillus cheese

Postby Shanidze on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:51 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you, if anyone has any experience or knows about making cheese with Aspergillus oryzae or Aspergillu niger?

I've read two papers, one's a chinese patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2015096445A1/en

And this article here, about cheese aged with A. oryzae and A. niger enzyme extracts:
https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajb/art ... 7968/68363

To me, the chinese recipe looks more interesting, as it implies adding the actual organism (spores), rathen than extracted enzymes.

Do you have any insights, about when to add spores or mycelium of Aspergillu sp. into the cheesemaking?

Also - do you think I can add the mycelium obtained from liquid culutre, into the process before the coagulation?

Thanks!

looking forward to learn your experiences!
Shanidze

Re: Aspergillus cheese

Postby Shanidze on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:58 pm

This is the second thread I opened and noone answered, am I blocked or something, without my knowledge about it? :roll:
Shanidze

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:05 am

Not blocked or anything. I just don't know anything about your really interesting subject. I've made a couple dozen cheeses, but I mostly just let whatever's in the air and milk do the culturing.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Shanidze on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:54 am

Christopher Weeks wrote:Not blocked or anything. I just don't know anything about your really interesting subject. I've made a couple dozen cheeses, but I mostly just let whatever's in the air and milk do the culturing.

Wow, that super interesting! :O

Do you then save those cultures?
Shanidze

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:06 am

Like for reuse in the next cheese? No. In theory, I'd like to have a steady enough cheesemaking practice that I kept a wooden barrel and paddle that would stay inoculated with organisms appropriate for the local milk. But I don't have my own animals and I just make it a few times per year.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby irie1029 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 am

Early on in my fermenting career I was making cottage cheese with raw milk simple right. The dang cottage cheese got a blue mold and I pitched it. Dopey me.
irie1029

Postby Shanidze on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:20 am

I have a question about milk that I though I might just ask in the thread I already have opened about inoculating experimenta species of microbes.

From a scientific point of view, the easiest way to know, that the cheese was curdles and fermented by the artificially added organism and not something endemic, is to sterilize the milk and inoculate it in sterile conditions.

My question is - can I sterilize milk and will it still be good enough to make cheese?

I think of autoclaving a 2-litre jar with 1 litre milk for 30 minutes or so and then add the mycelium grown on liquid medium to that milk - it should curdle in that jar and I then can ooze out the whey and leave the curdles in the jar for the mycelium to ferment it to an interesting cheese-like final product :mrgreen:
Shanidze

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:47 am

I think that's how factories do it, so it must work. It's not something I know about first hand since it's the opposite of my approach to things.

You should try it and report back! :-)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Shanidze on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:03 am

Christopher Weeks wrote:I think that's how factories do it, so it must work. It's not something I know about first hand since it's the opposite of my approach to things.

You should try it and report back! :-)

Good to hear that!
One last question before I do and report it - do you think the milk has to be as fresh as possible, or jit doesn't matter since I'm going to presssure-cook it?
Shanidze

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am

I don't know if anything happens to protein structure over time. I'm sure that fresh couldn't hurt!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Next

Return to Dairy Ferments