Mesophilic Yogurts: Open or Sealed Containers?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Mesophilic Yogurts: Open or Sealed Containers?

Postby RosaCanina on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I'm just starting out with mesophilic yogurt (specifically matsoni from a Japanese starter and viili from Gem Cultures). The instructions from Gem Cultures for the viili make it clear that they do not recommend sealing the viili into an airtight container -- neither during active culturing nor in the refrigerator. They suggest culturing with waxed paper or a saucer over the yogurt bowl and refrigerating in a container with the lid loosely in place. Instructions for the Japanese culture suggest that their matsoni be cultured in a sealed container, saying that the headspace in the container should provide enough air, and that keeping a closed container is important for preventing contamination.

My main question: does matsoni not require oxygen? Viili seems to (and that makes sense, given its history, its association with a mold, and the common advice to culture it in bowls -- so with plenty of surface area). The idea of an anaerobic jar of fermenting dairy sitting on my counter seems... well... potentially more dangerous than the possibility of wild house-dwelling bacteria getting in my yogurt. Am I wrong? Can I just cover the matsoni with a clean cloth, as I had planned? Or should I keep it sealed?

Secondary question: If I seal these in containers in the refrigerator, leaving some head space in the containers, would that damage the cultures? If I should NOT seal the containers, how to prevent cross contamination in the refrigerator? Aside from the two types of yogurt, there is also obviously cheese, etc, in there.

Thanks for any answers or experiences you might have!
RosaCanina

Re: Mesophilic Yogurts: Open or Sealed Containers?

Postby dri on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:17 pm

I do a lot of kefir (which is mesophilic). I've done both anaerobic and aerobic. Kefir can build up CO2 and some pressure but still not been a problem if I leave enough headspace, but I have dented a lid when I was starting (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WymzVVPokh4).

I would worry more about contamination in aerobic than pressure from anaerobic. If you leave headspace (2" or more) and open it from time-to-time that is actually a lot of O2 for the mastoni.

While I've not made it, you are correct that viili has a mold (Geotrichum candidum) and so may have higher needs for O2, so either very large sealed vessels (Tupperware bowls or large glass jars with a lot of headspace and open regularly).

I've read that viili contamination is common, so if you want to make both, you might want to keep one of the anaerobic.
dri

Re: Mesophilic Yogurts: Open or Sealed Containers?

Postby RosaCanina on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for your reply! I am going to take your advice and keep the matsoni closed, but with plenty of head space.
RosaCanina

Return to Dairy Ferments